chip fireball wrote:
apart from the boro.
The BBC web site has an opinionated sports pundit called Derek "Robbo" Robson - "The Tees Mouth" , who is supposedly a Boro supporter.
Actually Robbo is a completely fictitious character played by talented actor/comedian/improviser Niall Ashdown, who I believe originates from Kirklevington ... but we won't let that get in the way of a good story.
In an interview just after the Borer had won the league cup, Robbo was asked "but isn't it really just a poor relation of the FA Cup".
He answered something like, "What'dyer mean poor relation? Is "Mickey Mouse Cup" the words yer having trouble getting out? Well I'll tell yer what: yes it's the Mickey Mouse Cup, and I'll tell yer something else: it qualifies yer for the
European Mickey Mouse Cup!"
And that's one reason Boro suppporters are right to not to sniff at it. Remember, they played in a European final last season (even if it wasn't that particular season they'd qualified through the League Cup).
Only four clubs in the whole of Europe can say that.